Friday, November 2, 2007

I'm a Dork!



I really don't even need to address this title, because you all know this about me, but I will just give you one more reason why I'm such a dork. Steve took the kids out trick-or-treating while I stayed home to man the front door. Right after he left I got this sudden surge of Halloween spirit and decided to download some Halloween songs to my ipod and play them on my ipod player on the front porch. Steve happened to be right across the street when I started blaring "Ghostbusters" and he signaled for me to turn it down, while our neighbor was yelling for me to turn it up. He can be such a stick in the mud sometimes! Really, who doesn't want to hear Ghostbusters at 8 pm on Halloween? I turned it down, but just a little bit, and then sat on the front porch to greet trick-or-treaters. As I was looking around at our street and noticing no one else with such great holiday spirit, it hit me, "Lyric, you're a dork". This realization comes to me quite often, and I am secure enough with myself to be okay with it.

The Smith (my maiden name) household seemed to be the breeding grounds for cool dorks. I know it's an oxymoron, but it's true, at least I think it's true. Maybe only we thought we were kind of cool, but really that's the most important thing for a teenager...self esteem. I had the brother who wore the blue 70's tuxedo to prom and still looked good. Most of the 10 of us went all out for spirit dress-up days in high school. I think all of us love to dance. Not all of us look good doing it, but we have spunk, and we don't care who's watching. I actually have a couple of sisters whose dance skills could hang with the brothas and sistas, if you know what I mean! My 17 year old sister just dressed up as Pokemon's friend (Pikachu) for a Halloween party, while all her friends wore cute and flirty costumes. This same sister just had my mom use a big full skirt from another sister's prom several years ago and transform it into a full dress. Sounds kind of like Pretty in Pink doesn't it? I'll stop there, but I must admit that it is a fun family to be a part of. There is never a dull moment.

I have posted pictures of Maxwell and Sophie, and their cousins, from this most spirited Halloween. Sophie was the cutest pirate ever. She even wore big hoop earrings! Max chose to be a muscled power ranger. We stood in the costume section at Target for nearly an hour before he officially decided. Actually he chose the power ranger costume right away, but I spent an hour trying to talk him into being a pirate (Jack Sparrow), so he and Sophie would match, but to no avail. There's no swaying this kid. Funny thing is we went to Target today to buy half off costumes for next year and he let me buy him the Jack Sparrow costume. What a dork (obviously it runs in the genes)!

12 comments:

Kim said...

Oh they are so cute...I enjoy your dorkiness Lyric...I think you are great! I wish you ahd that music blaring so I could have heard it...

Jenni said...

I really wish we went trick or treating at your house! I would have loved to hear ghost busters. I love how you are whether it is dorkiness or not it is just great the way you are. You are so fun to be around and you are genuine.
That was smart to get the costumes for next year, I will have to remember that.

Nicole said...

Lyric, I just laughed and laughed as I read this. You are the "coolest dork" EVER and everyone knows it and wants to know and hang out with Lyric Payne!!! Your one in a million! I would have blasted Ghostbusters and danced with you if I were there!!
Your kids are sooo stinkin cute. That Sophie is the cutest pirate I have ever seen. She is a doll & that smile just melts your heart. Max is one tough, handsome Power Ranger.

Amy said...

I love that you're a dork and proud of it! I come from a family of major dorks (in the best possible sense, of course). In fact, I have a cute little 17-year-old brother who sounds perfect for your sis!! Glad you had a fun Halloween...

Amy said...

Oh-- forgot to say that I looooove Sophie's costume!

Kristen said...

If that was dorky, then I am right up there with you! It has always been my understanding that the blaring of Ghostbusters, or thriller, or something of the sort on Hallowwen night is a requirement. Soo....I am fairly certain you must have been the only non-dork on your street :) The costumes are great! Buddy and I think Max looks so much like Steve, You guys havnt changed a bit, just as fun as ever except now with 2 good lookin kids..could it get any better?

Mitchell Family said...

So cute! I would have to agree about the family of 10, well 12, dorks! We love them though, there is never a dull moment at the Smith residence!

brooke romney said...

You do have the greatest family, and you are a dork and we miss that terribly. So, how come you didn't just make Sophie the pink power ranger and complete the theme?? Let's catch up this week!

The Merrell Family said...

hey lyric! your family is the cutest!we miss your family here in the heat of arizona! hope all is well in idaho.

Eardley Fam said...

Loved the costumes-Sophie makes a great pirate! You are the "coolest dork" I know! We miss you guys!

Melissa Stadler said...

I LOVE that about you!! I am a full-on dork as well and it is nice when you get old enough to feel GOOD about admitting it. You are hillarious!
Your fam sounds awesome and I can see why you were anxious to get back to Idaho. Your kiddos are absolutely adorable and way to go with your Halloween Spirit Lyric. You ROCK!!(see I really am a dork)

Kirk and Aly said...

I agree with you about the spooky Halloween music being a fun accent, but really?- Ghost Busters?! Maybe you are a dork! A cool dork, like Nicole said though! :)