Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Deep Dark Secrets

I have been "tagged" two times now, so I am wondering if I am meant to have a moment of introspection. Maybe I'll discover a talent I didn't know I possessed, or more likely, maybe I'll discover that there's nothing new to discover. I'm not sure that I can conjure up six new things to tell people about, because I am an open book...and more importantly, because I talk too much so everyone probably already knows these six things about me. Regardless, here goes:

1. I have become very picky with food in my old age. I am not picky in the sense that there are many things I don't like, because I actually like almost all types of food. I am picky in my quality of food. If I am going to eat it, it has to be good. I have been disappointed at restaurants lately. I don't make casseroles because usually they are made with cream soups, which I don't find very appetizing in my old age. I could go on, but I don't want to continue offending people who like cream soups!

2. I am much more critical of my husband than he is of me...but I'm working on it. This sounds really terrible, and it is, but you must know that my husband is one of the most accepting people I have ever known. He is totally fine if there is no dinner planned when he gets home. Cold cereal or a sandwich is just fine with him. He was never one of those single guys who ruled out dating girls who had fat potential (thank goodness) because it honestly never crossed his mind. He does not think any differently of me if I don't do my visiting teaching occasionally. Really, I can get away with so much in this relationship! He inspires me to be a better person not by asking for it, or even expecting it, but by loving me for me, and treating everyone with respect.

3. I love playing sports. I played basketball and volleyball in high school, and I was on the championship intramural basketball team at BYU two years in a row, which is more competitive than it sounds. I had a mean hook shot. Most of you probably don't even know what that is, but I had it. I now love to play golf with Steve. I also love to rollerblade and used to be quite the daredevil on them. I would even go down small flights of stairs. I really enjoy snow skiing, but have learned in the past few years that I am a cold weather weenie, so I only like to ski now when the weather is relatively mild.

4. I loved the "Twilight" series, and have read all three, but started getting a little bored with all the mushy stuff by the second book. My sister-in-laws informed me that that disqualifies me from being a hopeless romantic. I would have to agree, and am just fine with that. I still love the storyline and will read the next one right when it comes out. Everyone who has read the books has a favorite guy, and I have decided that a mix between Edward and Jacob is perfect.

5. I am not a sentimental person, or rather I am not attached to things. Other than pictures and video footage, I would be okay if my house burnt down, as long as I was given plenty of money to build a new one, buy new clothes and redecorate. I am not attached to my scriptures, so I would be okay buying new ones. I would miss the small amount of memorabilia from my childhood and youth, but I only look at it every few years, so I could move past that pretty easily. Further proof of this is that I gave my wedding dress to D.I. several years ago, and have had no regrets, except when a friend makes me feel cold and heartless for doing so!

6. I have never made a budget, but I am still good with money. I could make and stick to a budget if I really had to, like really really really had to, but if I don't really have to, then I won't. I always know how much money we have because I am the bookkeeper in our family. We rarely pay interest, with the exception of our mortgage and student loans. I consider myself smart with money and will do the necessary research, so our money should be growing well. But, I'm not a strict "rules" person, so strict budgets do not lend themselves well to my personality. Is that a great excuse or what?

I am supposed to "tag" six more people to tell six things about themselves. Don't feel any pressure, just know that it's quite interesting to think about yourself for a few minutes! I tag Alexis, Abbie, Jamie, my Mom, Michelle Ray and Brooke Romney (who has probably been tagged several times, so get on it).

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Your the first I've heard of that does stairs on their rollerblades. I grew up in D.C. and rollerblades were my second feet. I did stairs backwards, how did you ride? It's fun learning new things about friends.

Jenni said...

I am really picky about the quality my food too. I consider myself a food snob. I often think, is this worth the calories? and if it isn't then I don't eat it. I also hear you about casseroles. Another little example of my pickiness is with bread, I hate all my choices of bread in Idaho so I have some shipped to me monthy. We must just taste food more then most people.
Sorry that was long, the rest were fun to read too!

Amy said...

Who knew you were such a sports superstar? (okay, I'm sure other people knew) We really should go skiing together this winter. I used to be more "hard core" but in recent years am kind of a weather wuss too. I also can related to your thoughts on budgeting. Fun to read this!!

Mitchell Family said...

Oh thanks! I was actually thinking as I was reading yours that I have no idea what I would say if I had to think of 6 things! Little did I know you were going to "tag" me. I guess I will have to really think about myself for a minute!!

Michelle said...

You know, I thought you were an intersting person before but WOW, you are kind of a rock star. That doesn't surprise me,

Jamie Christensen said...

I've been getting picky with food also. I would love to know what kind of things you make for dinner. I'm in a rut with dinner lately.

Kim said...

I agree...it is always fun to hear more stuff about a friend...but before your house burns down...would you mind if I stole a few things out of it?????

Nicole said...

Girl you crack me up!!! Your 'normal'! I have always pictured you 'perfect'.

I loved the critical of Steve secret. I am the same way with Jeff & related to everything you said. It is the exact same with Jeff. We just have humble, what you get is what you see, simple, non judgemental husbands...and they have us. I just couldn't put that secret on mine, my mother in law reads this everyday!!!

Kelli J said...

That just gave me flash backs of you, Hawaii and a boogie board!

Jilene said...

Hey Lyric, A bunch of us play basketball every tuesday and thursday night at 9pm. Come join us! Call me if you want more info..629-8363 It's lots of fun! ~Jilene

Kirk and Aly said...

I love all the deep dark secrets. But, if these are your deepest and darkest, I better revise my list of the deep and dark! It's always fun to learn more about you! BTW, we just met a gal that is in your ward while doing pictures with Jamie. Also, I can't remember the name of our tour guide from Hawaii, but there is probably only one Polly Shore/Mike Romney in the world, so it's probably the same. :)

Matt and Jennae Porter said...

You're right... how do we get along at all?! I make a lot of dishes with cream soups!!! Good thing we didn't find this out about each other early on in our friendship... =)