Monday, November 26, 2007

Hopefully Grandpa's work ethic is genetic!






Grandpa Dicker has always been a very hard worker. My father-in-law's real name is Richard, nickname Dick, but all his kids and grandkids call him Dicker. He can barely sit still long enough to watch 30 minutes of the local news. He retired from his career as an economics professor at Boise State 3 years ago and is finally appreciating his new life. One of his favorite things to still do is work, but rather than spend most of the day at school he now spends most of his hours mowing, raking, shoveling, gardening, and any other manual labor that he can dream up. It would make his week if one of his boys called him for help on a project. He also loves it when the grandchildren want to help work. The day before Halloween Maxwell and Sophie, and some of their cousins joined in raking the neighbor's yard. I guess I forgot to tell you that Grandpa Dicker doesn't just do manual labor at his house, he has taken care of the yard of an elderly neighbor named Sylvia for 30 years. Actually, Steve and his brothers did it for many years, but they have since moved on. Not only does he take care of Sylvia's yard, but he also checks on her several times a day to give her medicine and to make sure she is eating her meals-on-wheels. He is quite a guy. Now that I have bragged my father-in-law up I will let you enjoy the pictures of the kids hard at work! Doesn't the red hair of my niece and nephew just sparkle? I love it.

9 comments:

Kristen said...

Thanks for the new post, I was begining to wonder :)

I love this story, you painted quite a loving picture of the man, how great is that! and I love your pics, that red hair is to die for!

Nicole said...

This is a great post. I am always in awe of people that are so hard working like that. It shows a lot of character. Not to mention it makes me feel lazy. I hope I can instill in my children that kid of work ethic. What a great man to have to call grandpa!

Biddle Family said...

Lyric,
What fun to be back with family in Idaho.. You know my grandpa's name is Dick but I don't think my kids will be calling him grandpa dickers.. it would be cute though.. I love all your pictures.. Sophie is getting so big.

Michelle said...

Oh that is so sweet. What a great man.
The pictures are stunning! I am impressed.

Kim said...

That is so cool...I love that Brent comes from a hard working family...I hope we can pass that along to our kids!

The Merrell Family said...

That generation of men and women just seem to have mastered work ethic. He must be such a great man. I love all the pictures! I wish we had leaves like those here in AZ!

Unknown said...

I love the fall pictures and great dad in law.

Amy said...

Oh my- That red hair IS adorable! What a great thing to have that example to have for your kiddos of such a hard working grandpa, and one who provides so much service to others!!

brooke romney said...

REally great pictures, and does he have the cutest dad ever? I think the whole battleship thing started when we were there. Leave it Max to be obsessed with somthing. He's so cute and so Old now