Sunday, April 5, 2009

What About Mom?

In Maxwell's class they are teaching a special safety course. You know the one when they start out with the easy stuff like not to talk to strangers, and end with the hard stuff like what to do when someone touches you wrong. I have talked to Maxwell about this many times, so this should be a major repeater course, but it is always good to have reminders. He came home with a list the teacher had him fill out that was titled "Who can I tell". It had three blanks for him to write names of people he could tell if someone was touching him inappropriately. This was his list:

1. uncle

2. Steve

3. aunt

He wrote in his own #4. Mrs. Love (his teacher)

I was going over this list with him and he explained it to me further. He said when he put uncle he meant Uncle Ryan. Uncle Ryan is my sister Cali's husband, and he just became a police officer, which is the coolest thing ever to a 6 year old boy. He now associates police officers with protection rather than just someone who will give you a ticket if you don't buckle your seatbelt!!

I thought it was funny that he wrote Steve rather than Dad on the list.

When we got to "aunt" I asked him which aunt he was referring to. He said, "which of your sisters is tough and does kickboxing?". I said, "that's my sister Cari". He said, "yea, that's who I meant...Aunt Cari." He is really seeking protection here isn't he?

I'm sure his teacher was happy that he added a number 4 and wrote her name in, but really, where the heck is Mom on the list?

11 comments:

Hilary Jorgensen said...

where the heck is my name on the list? seriously. who is the reigning leg wrestling champion (please refer to my blog posting)? cari?! whatever. maybe you should have a talk with max about who he really should've put on that list.

pillingfamily said...

chopped liver, i tell ya

Amy said...

Oh my goodness... I love your stories. Sounds like Max has lots of "safe" people in his life!

Alison said...

Looks like you need to show him how tough you really are!! Do some Karate on him! Just kidding, he didn't have to write you down because your always #1 on his list!!

Quinn, Alexis, Jayden, and Owen Brown said...

lyr, i almost peed my pants reading those stories of your hilarious kids!! i can't wait until jayden is old enough to talk and say funny things. keep writing them down so that you won't forget them. oh, and i think it's funny that max put people on his list that he thinks could beat up whoever messed with him instead of who he could trust and rely in. and i don't know hil, i think cari has you beat. what are you going to do when the creep doesn't get on the ground and says "1,2,3" like in leg wrestling and just punches you instead?

Brooke Romney said...

I'm laughing so hard right now. Looks like he needs to come to the gym with you again. From my memory you were pretty tough.

Matt and Jennae Porter said...

If he knew your leg wrestling skills, you'd be #1 on his list. Also- "I hate dentistry"- priceless.

Dunn's said...

Max, you're the best! You can come to me anytime someone is touching you innappropriately and I'll use my best roundhouse on them! :)

Nancy said...

I just lurked here for a minute (and I try not to lurk on blogs with out leaving a comment 'cause that's creepy)I saw the name "Lyric" on the side of Susan's blog and was curious (because hello, what a cool name). Anyway, you are very funny and you have some darling little ones!

Nicole said...

Bless his little heart, I couldn't help but just laugh at this post. If someone does something to that little guy he wants them to PAY & someone to kick their tooshes!!! LOL I guess mom, you just aren't able to do that in his eyes. LOL

Kristen said...

I bet aunt Cari is feeling pretty good about herself :) And telling moms are just a given, I am sure he just thought who ELSE would you tell..what a cute Max!!