Thursday, January 17, 2008

The Little Things



During a late night talkfest with my sisters this last weekend we discussed the languages of love. I have actually never read the book about the languages of love, but I think I know the basic ideas of the book and therefore I am an expert on the subject. Something I think I know is that a person usually gives love the way they like to receive love. This can often be a problem in a relationship because the way you give love may not be the way your companion best receives love. I have a near perfect husband. Anyone who knows him well will undoubtedly second my opinion. As I was shooting the breeze with my sisters I told them that if I could change one thing about Steve I would make him more romantic, because it is through the romantic things that I feel love, which is not the most common way Steve gives love. After a little more thought and discussion I decided that I am probably unpleasable, because I actually want love given in every way possible. I need affection, I need compliments, I need help around the house, I need time, I need it all. After even a little more thought I decided that Steve gives me love in all these ways, some of them just come in small packages. He does not surprise me with candlelight dinners or big trips, but everytime he goes to the grocery store, which is much more often than most men, he brings me home some of my favorites, like my favorite granola with fresh berries. He would always choose to stay home with the family than go anywhere else. He gave me all his birthday money to spend on my upcoming girls' trip to San Diego. He gets the kids ready for church every sunday (except for Sophie's hair). He tells me that he wouldn't change anything about me. Sometimes it's hard to remember the little things, but that is what he is good at, which is why he is nearly perfect. He may not be planning the next romantic getaway (although I'm working on it!) but he is constantly busy doing the little things for our family - which I wouldn't trade for anything.

FYI: Steve turned 32 last week. Maxwell wanted to play pin the tail on the donkey, so I found this great printable version which allows you to insert any face that fits. We played two games, one with Donkey Mike (great Arizona friend) and one with Donkey Dave (Steve's big brother). No offense guys - just feel the love!

17 comments:

Mitchell Family said...

You do have a great husband. I have always thought you two have a fairy tale life! Happy Birthday last week!

Nicole said...

Great post! Funny, I have been thinking a lot about this same subject too. I have read, a few books on this & find it very interesting & ways for me to adjust and appreciate Jeff's love language & how to mesh them together.

Nead Family said...

Lyric,
Your post seriously crack me up!!
Love, Summer

Kristen said...

Well, we havnt seen Steve in quite some time, but we remember him fondly, and given that he looks like he isnt a day over 23 (when we last saw you) I would have to second your opinion that he is pretty near perfect :) Cute words, lucky guy!

Amy said...

This was sweet...and also got me thinking. Todd sounds a lot like Steve in the way he gives love and I need to better about recognizing those things! You've got a keeper.

Unknown said...

I love the donkey Mike...you guys are so great...we miss you!

Mr. and Mrs. Smith said...

Happy Birthday to Steve! :) I remember reading that book once a long time ago. It was very interesting to think about and a lot of it is so true. It does help to know how your spouse feels love instead of trying to show them love how you want to receive it. For some reason my cleaning the house all that just doesn't show him the love like I think it would for me! :)

The O'Briens said...

This was so much fun to read. I, too, want to receive love in every possible way. My friend and I were having this very conversation and I realized I want it all. Steve sounds like an amazing husband. It always makes me happy to see that there are other people who get everything they need and want from their marriage. You have a beautiful family.

Eardley Fam said...

Love donkey Mike and Happy Birthday Steve!! You did snatch a great guy!

mallari said...

That love thing is so hard. I dont' think that we will ever master it but I do have to say that we are all some pretty lucky women cause it wounds liek out husbands have about got it.

Kim said...

Such a sweet post. Poor men...we are so hard to please and make happy...

brooke romney said...

My hubby looks hot as half man half donkey. You guys are the very cutest. Wish our favorite friend a very happy birthday!

Kirk and Aly said...

This whole love language thing is totally news to me. It's a miracle that we've made it almost 12 years through marriage without knowing how to really show love. Hmmm! Happy birthday to Steve! I like pinning the tail on the "donkeys" - is that kind of like voodoo? Maybe you've been watching too much Scooby Doo.

Matt and Jennae Porter said...

Happy belated birthday Steve!!! Hmmm... isn't someone else's birthday coming up too?! =)

April said...

you guys are just perfect! i am serious. you are told that alot i am sure. oh, this is april. i have a new blog. not that anything is on there yet. maybe in a few days i'll have something to say.

The Merrell Family said...

The donkey is too funny! I can't believe how grown up Max and Sophie are. That book is great!

Anonymous said...

What a fantastic idea! Look how creative you are! I loved reading your entry, it's very inspiring!