Monday, January 7, 2008

Christmas Eve with the Smiths






We have two different kinds of Christmas Eves in our family, the Payne Christmas Eve and the Smith Christmas Eve, alternating each year. They are both tons of fun and full of craziness. The Payne Christmas Eve consists of good food and good company, with the rest of the evening being consumed by a visit from Santa (a.k.a. an old family friend). As the family has gotten larger, Santa's stay has gotten longer! The Payne Christmas Eves are a great time and make great memories.

The Smith Christmas Eve also consists of good food and good company, several musical performances, and is followed by the nativity story, which is produced and directed by Grandma Smith and stars the grandchildren. Maxwell was Joseph this year and Sophie was the angel (isn't that fitting!). Cousin Sicily has been the star two years in a row...literally...her head pokes out from a cardboard star covered in gold foil! After the nativity story we have a candle lighting ceremony. This is a tradition that usually ends in tears, not sad ones, heartfelt ones. One person starts by saying something special about another person in the group and they then light that person's candle, and so on, and so on, until the last person says something they love about the person who started the lighting ceremony and then all the candles are lit. It sounds cheesy, and it is, but for a family full of girls, it is a tradition we appreciate. Steve started the candle lighting this year, and I was the last one to have my candle lit, so I got to brag and blubber about my husband. It was so easy to find stuff to brag about!

13 comments:

Jenni said...

Those are great pictures. Sophie was the perfect angel. I think thecandle lighting ceremony sounds like a neat idea. Maybe I will try and add that in next year, we will see how my brothers feel about it though!
By the way, I am totally up for a pizza making night. That would be so fun.

The O'Briens said...

Wow, your dad goes all out with the nativity costumes! Both my family and Robby's has a nativity scene with the grandchildren but the outfits are nothing like these! Very impressive. I love watching the kids get excited about the roles they will play.

Kim said...

I love the costumes!!! That sounds like a very nice Christmas Eve! I agree, Sophie is a perfect little angel!!!

Mitchell Family said...

Your family so cute! I wish so bad that we all lived closer, we could have some good times! You'll have to tell Cali hello and we love her!

Nicole said...

I love your Smith family candle tradition. So cute. I know with so many girls in my family, we would be blubbering messes too. What a fun Christmas Eve between both families!

Anonymous said...

What a pretty angel your daughter made. By the way, you had posted pics of your house a while back, and you are the next Design Star, I just know it. You have such good taste. Rachel Budge

Kristen said...

I loved reading about your traditions, what a lasting memory your kids will have!! Thank you for your sweet comment on my blog, I loved it. You and steve havent changed a bit..lucky lucky!! /And your kids, devine!!

Amy said...

I've never heard of anything like your candle lighting tradition... I love that! It looks like the Christmas Eve program was Broadway worthy! I remember using bath towls as our costumes when I was growing up :)

OurHappyFamily said...

Your family is so stinkin cute! Let's be honest here, Sophie was the perfect angel... she is a doll. Sounds like your Holidays were fabulous. What can I say, one perfect, beautiful family you got there!!! Love ya.

mallari said...

Max looks like such a little man in that picture!

Rachel M said...

Sounds like you guys had a great Christmas with all of your family! Your kids are getting too big!

Eardley Fam said...

What great traditions!! I love the all out costumes too.

Melissa Stadler said...

I absolutely loved reading your traditions. Sophie is the cutest little thing as an angel. The candle lighting tradition sounds so special. We did a form of that on Christmas Eve growing up and every single one of my brothers would be bawling. Genius idea.
Have a fantastic day Lyric!