Monday, August 13, 2007

Triathlete Wannabe


Steve and I raced our first triathlon. It was so much fun, I am already anxious to do another. My brother, Sam, and his wife Hollie, Hollie's sister and brother-in-law, and my sister, Hilary, were kind enough to let us tag along to the race with them. Let's start off with the bad news. Steve and I were among the last 7 out of the lake for the swim portion. Hilary, Hollie and Lisa were truly devoted race partners as they waited for me to finish my snail's pace swim. If you know about triathlons, transition times between the segments can really help or hurt you, but I didn't know about triathlons. Needless to say, not only did I take my sweet time drying off and putting my bike shoes on, but poor and devoted Hilary had already waited 4 minutes for me to get out of the water. This left her with the longest transition time of any of the 130 people in the race (nearly 9 minutes). Quite a feat! Sorry Hilary! Steve and I borrowed road bikes for the race. My bike was sweet, and I had a blast riding through the country roads of Emmett, Idaho. Steve's bike really sucked. The front wheel was bent, both tires were low, and there were no foot cages or clips, so his feet kept slipping off the pedals. It was a miserable ride for him, but he made it in, even passing lots of riders. We both loved the run. Steve was a dear and slowed his pace down so we could run together, which I really loved. We crossed the finish line together...actually, Steve slowed down his last few steps so I could finish first. Is that a man without an ego or what?

Okay you can all stop laughing at the picture now!

For those of you who don't know my family I will list the people in the picture from left to right: Heroic Hilary, Studly Sam, Hot little Hollie, Lovable Lisa, Six-Pack James, Yours truly, and The Hairy Hunk of my Dreams

11 comments:

Jamie Christensen said...

Way to go Steve and Lyric. That sounds like a lot of fun. I love the picture of your house and the fun things you are buying to go in it. What a talent you have.

brooke romney said...

Love that you did this, but mostly love the picture. You look so good in neon green without hair...I have such fit friends, but I will not cave in and start crazy things like triathalons and marathons!

Quinn, Alexis, Jayden, and Owen Brown said...

i'm so bummed quinn and i couldn't come up this weekend and do the triathalon with you guys. i'm pretty dang sure everyone would have to wait for me too. except i really don't know if quinn would have waited for me...he's too competitive.

Quinn, Alexis, Jayden, and Owen Brown said...

p.s. what does the 565 on your blog page stand for? your house number? the number of times max has called me cassi? the number of minutes we've talked in a week?

Quinn, Alexis, Jayden, and Owen Brown said...

p.s. what does the 565 on your blog page stand for? your house number? the number of times max has called me cassi? the number of minutes we've talked in a week?

Kirk and Aly said...

You guys are amazing! I completely ditto Brooke's comment. Good for you guys! A couple questions for you though: Why didn't you ride your beach cruiser on the race? And why didn't Steve wear biker shorts? Sounds like fun!

Nicole said...

I am so impressed!! That is great you guys did that together and with your family. I was touched by Steve letting you go through the finish line first. What a great husband!

Jeff keeps wanting to run a marathon & I say to him I will cheer him on, but unless it is speed walking No way!!!

Eardley Fam said...

That is awesome and can I just tell you that the picture made my day-I cannot stop smiling!!

Heather said...

so impressed.

Sandi said...

Lyric, you looked cold?

Kelli J said...

If I squint my eyes and tilt my head, ignoring the bald green head of yours --you actually look pretty hot and fit! You are so ready for an Ironman. By the way, love the house photos. I can't wait to come...you still remember who I am, right?