Friday, August 17, 2007

Indigo Girls Reunion!



I got to see one my favorite people ever...the second half (actually the better half) of the Indigo Girls wannabes. Let me explain. My friend Rebekah has a beautiful voice and she introduced me to the Indigo Girls while we were roommates at BYU. We would sit for hours, with our ears to the speakers, trying to harmonize to Indigo Girls songs. (I can't believe I'm admitting to this.) We even started a short lived band, called Lemon Chug (the name was inspired by our love of drinking straight lemon juice.) We were absolutely terrible on the guitar, and my voice was all over the place, but her voice made it kind of bearable to listen to...maybe. We had one of the big party houses at BYU that always had people sleeping on the couches and floor, and was usually disgustingly filthy. If you went to BYU and didn't get married as a Freshman, you should know what I mean. One night we had a big house party with a friend's band playing and Lemon Chug opened. There were probably only 25 people there at that point, thank goodness, but I wish I could apologize to those 25 people. Later in the night, I also got on the mic and rapped a Beastie Boys song, which might have made up for the earlier bomb. Many of my favorite memories are with Rebekah. We were pretty much joined at the hip for several years. We have each grown up, at least in terms of age, and somehow have managed to become respectable Moms. She has two beautiful girls named Mira and Olivia. Mira is 3 weeks younger than Max, and Olivia is 3 days younger than Sophie. It's interesting that even though we haven't seen each other for 3 years, we still seem to have the same menstrual cycle!! Rebekah and her beautiful family, including her adorable and sweet husband, Dustin, moved from Denver to Portland and stayed with us on their journey through. We are so excited to have them live a short 6 hour drive or a cheap flight away. Dustin claims that I am not allowed to visit without bringing Maxwell or Steve (any form of testosterone) with me! I will definitely bring Steve with me, because Rebekah is on the short list of people who bring out his goofy side, which I absolutely love.

5 comments:

Sandi said...

Lyric that was so good to see Rebekah. She looks so good and her kids are darling. Your write up was hilarious. I don't think I will ever be able to blog very good. I am used to writing like it needs to receive a grade or something.

Nicole said...

Lyric, I would have never guessed about that side of you!! You were WILD girl!! How fun to have your friend/roomate to visit. Sounds like you guys had a blast rooming together. Aahh the memories!

brooke romney said...

That is so fun. I really want to hear Lemon Chug (are you serious? You sang solo in front of a bunch of people? I'm dying.) She sounds great.

Kelli J said...

Alas! After the many times you have told me that Rebekah and I are sooooo alike it is nice to finally put a face to her name. Scary... but it is no suprise to me, what so ever, that you were a lead singer in a band called "Lemon Chug". Hilarious but not suprising. Can I be on drums?

Quinn, Alexis, Jayden, and Owen Brown said...

that picture of rebecca's daughter and sophie cracked me up because i think that they just look like a mini you and rebecca together at byu. so cute!