Wednesday, October 17, 2007

A Porch Full of Fun!








This is our first autumn back in Idaho and I had forgotten how absolutely beautiful the trees are. You’ll drive past an Albertson’s grocery store and because they have planted all the same tree throughout their parking lot, and they are glowing amber in color, it has become amazing for the eyes to behold. Who knew that a grocery store could be a drive-by attraction!

Steve insisted that we have a festive porch, although he wanted spooky and gory décor, and even admitted that he loves the tacky stuff (like plastic cut outs taped to the windows…need I say more), I found my own way of bringing the season to our little front porch. As you can see, there is a narrow opening for guests to enter now! I had to copy my sister, Hilary, and buy three coordinating colors of mums for my front porch. The scarecrow was a silent auction item at Maxwell’s school carnival. Each classroom had a scarecrow they entered in the silent auction, and my name was on far too many of the bid sheets, but the “Ski Bum” is the scarecrow we took home, and we absolutely love it. It is an added bonus that the skis and boots are real and will probably be worn by Max this winter. Steve carved the skeleton pumpkin (Max’s request) at the Payne Halloween Party. Most of you probably don’t think of dentists as artists, but he sure takes his dentistry and his pumpkin carving serious. Details are important to him. Hence his pumpkin looks really cool and spooky, especially when it has a candle burning in it.

The Payne Halloween Party was major (in the words of Posh). The food was delicious, and Steve and I even baked several hours to prepare for the event. Don’t worry, it won’t become a habit! As you can see from the pictures, the electric jeep was the hit for children 3 and under and Max! Pumpkin carving was the other big event of the evening. Pumpkin carving is kind of like barbecueing to me…a man thing

10 comments:

Nicole said...

I LOVE your porch!!! It is so festive...and not tacky festive at all (glad you took your route rather than Steves...no offense Steve, I am sure your ideas would have been great too!)It sure looks great!!

I have to say your husband is a very well rounded guy! I mean, dentistry, athletic, spiritual, thoughful, and a pumkin carver too...mercy woman, you have got it ALL!!

Unknown said...

Lyric, i love it, it looks so great. I bet you are loving Idaho in the fall, some thing we kind of lack around here!!!

Amy said...

Your porch looks great. I still have half-alive flowers in the pots out front that need to be taken care of... maybe you'll inspire me :) Pumpkin carving was a "man thing" at our house... it was always my dad who took the lead.

brooke romney said...

You are a WAY cooler Halloween mom. Love the porch and the mums are MAJOR/

Jenni said...

The porch looks great. I love the scarecrow and the mums are a great idea. Sophie's shoes in that first picture are TOO cute. I used to have a pair like that when I was little. I want some for my girls now. Also, that pumpkin looks pretty awesome.

Eardley Fam said...

Love the ski bum scarecrow-at first I couldn't figure out what was going on with him.-with the snow and all. Love the mums and that Steve is into porch decorating.

OurHappyFamily said...

Your front door looks DARLING!!! You are too cute and talented I must add! I sure miss not having a fall in AZ. Hope you enjoy!

Mitchell Family said...

Hey I just wanted to tell you that April and Ashlee have started a blog as well. Ashlees is ashleerobertson.blogspot.com and Aprils is aprilbills.blogspot.com. You will have to check theirs out. Oh and we are all patiently waiting to see pictures of your cute house!

The O'Briens said...

My sisters check my blog sometimes, and, for fun, my sister, Ang, decided to go look at the links on my page. Well, she got to yours and realized that she knows you. Her maiden name was Angie McConnell, now she is Angie Pope. She said that you lived next door to a guy that she was engaged to, Doug Stucki. Obviously, she didn't marry him. Anyway, I thought it was so funny that you know one of my sisters. Crazy how small out world can be.

Unknown said...

Hey lyric, you guys live way too far away for you not to blog at least once a week......get on it!!!