Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Removal of the Enlarged Adenoids

Capri had a constant flood of drainage coming out her nose for nine months. Everyone got used to it - the daycare workers at the gym, grandmas and grandpas, babysitters. They all knew to keep the kleenex very handy when Capri was around. I literally wiped her nose every five minutes. Maxwell and Sophie even came up with their own warning system. They would call out to me "booger alert, booger alert"! We visited her pediatrician, an allergist, even a chiropractor to figure out what the problem, or more importantly, what the solution was. After months of no success we took it upon ourselves to take her to the top - a pediatric ENT surgeon. Within a couple of days the CT scan showed majorly enlarged adneoids. All the drainage that normally goes down the back of the throat was coming out her nostrils. Surgery was scheduled right away. Here is the pre-surgery picture, which was taken right before I gave her a few drinks of water because she was going crazy waiting for her turn, which I guess is a major no-no before surgery (I thought clear fluids were allowed). We then had to wait two more hours because of my indescretion. AAGGHHH!


Post-surgery. Coming off the anethesia was a nightmare. After 50 minutes of this I vowed to bring Steve with me if there was ever a next time (which there was three weeks later to get tubes put in her ears....AAAGGHH again). I finally asked the nurse if I could leave even though she had not stopped crying. I think it was against protocol, but they seemed quite relieved to get rid of us! As soon as we walked out of the recovery room, she calmed down and fell fast asleep in the car.


2 comments:

Annette Larsen said...

I remember coming off anesthesia after I had my adenoids removed when I was 12, and it is very confusing and weird. Poor girl. I'm so glad you found a solution though! Yay for solving the mystery!

Jen said...

All I have to say is that I feel your pain girl! Paige had tubes put in twice and her adnoids and tonsils removed. Then again with miss Anna and now last week we found out that Gavin needs tubes put in his ears! It's so hard to watch them cry and be so confused! Sorry you had to go through that without Steve. You are a good Mom!