Saturday, September 22, 2007

A Day of Firsts!


We had a day of accomplishments this beautiful Saturday. I'll start with the best news. Maxwell made his first goal in a soccer game! Last year, while playing in Arizona, he went from mostly running alongside the referee, smiling up at him, to actually following the ball. He didn't have many chances to score goals on that team, because his best buddy, Braden, was on the team, and he was about twice the speed of any of the other players, therefore he was the sole scoring machine. However, although Braden is sorely missed, Maxwell's scoring opportunities have definitely increased since moving to Idaho. He stole the ball and had a fast break (at least that's what they call it in basketball) and with several players chasing him down he kicked it in for his first goal. He was very excited and immediately looked over at the sidelines and gave Steve a big smile. Sadly I had to hear this story second hand because I missed it. But I missed it for a good reason; I was off accomplishing a first for me. I ran my first competitive race. You are probably all remembering me in my green swimcap during the triathlon, but let me remind you that I did not swim/run/bike that race in a competitive manner. I just cruised along, not exerting myself too much, and felt just fine at the end of the race. This was my first exhausted finish line. It is the largest 5K women's run in the nation. Over 14,000 women joined in the fun. Only about 1500 of those women run in the competitive heat, while the others do the fun run/walk heat. Myself and 3 other women from my ward registered for the competitive heat. Little did I know that 2 of my 3 friends are amazing runners. One of them even qualified for the Boston Marathon. I really think they should have disclosed that to me before asking me to join them! As we were driving to the race they shared their abilities with me, and there went my hopes of another leisurely race! Within 15 seconds of the starting gun going off I realized I would not be able to run the race with the two gazelle that were running at my sprinting pace, so I decided to push myself more than normal, but to run solo. I actually finished 113th out of 1444 runners, and I even finished 15th in my age group. It was nothing spectacular, but I had to brag a bit and post my standings because I am actually quite proud of myself. There were definitely moments throughout the race that I was not enjoying myself, but life is not always about enjoyment, which is a new concept to me! One more really cool first for me today is that I met Jared the Subway guy after the race. He even signed my race bib. It was quite hilarious because the bib was pinned to my chest, so I had to hold the bib away from my chest a bit while he signed. That was good for a few laughs!

11 comments:

Melissa Stadler said...

You go girl! That is so awesome Lyric that you ran a 5K and then ran it so fast. You have some serious running genes...15th in your age category is seriously good. I am so impressed Lyric.

Also, to meet Jared from Subway? Pretty darn special. I am just visualizing the exchange as you are trying to pull your bib away as he is signing it. Classic!

Unknown said...

Yeah Payne family, you are all so great and we miss you guys tons. Maybe one of these days we can figure out a way to run a race together, you know, you the gazelle and me the turtle 5 hrs. behind, yet so fun!!! (i'll come to Idaho though, running in AZ kinda stinks, literally some nights)

brooke romney said...

You are glad I wasn't there, or you would be 114th. I had no idea you were doing this. Guess we haven't been talking enough. Give Max a big high five for me--there are some good things to "really tall 5 year old Brayden" not being around.

Eardley Fam said...

Woohoo! Go gazelle go! That is such an awesome accomplishment and what a prize at the end to have Jared from Subway sign your chest I mean your bib! I can picture Max all smiles at the game too.

Nicole said...

Yeah for the Paynes!!! I loved this post, it was fun to read! I loved the part where after Max scored his goal he looked back at Steve with a big smile on his face! That is the cutest thing. I love how our children seek our approval and how can we not be so proud and excited with moments like that!!

Man...I wish Jared would sign my chest, I mean my bib!! Awesome!!

OurHappyFamily said...

Man. . . quite the weekend for the Payne family!!! Congrats to Max,and a standing ovation to you!!! I am so impressed. Nice work girl. I am training for my first mini triathalon. . . we will see how it goes! You look fabulous and are one darling mama!

That is too funny that you met the subway dude. . . that definitely gave me a laugh!

Mitchell Family said...

Hey it's April. I'm not sure how to have it say from me. I love to read your posts! I'm still learning how to work all of this.

The O'Briens said...

First, I must confess that Robby and I stalked you before you looked out blog up. :) Like you, we found your link on Abbie's page. You kids are absolutely beautiful, and I was thrilled to hear that your little boy plays soccer. It really is "the beautiful game." (I'm not biased, really.) I appreciated your comment and the advise. I hope to meet you eventually. (I realize my post name causes confusion. It is a nickname given to me by friends who also blog.)

Melissa Stadler said...

Ok Lyric - I am going completely off topic! You are hillarious with your "cookie snob" story. I too can relate, my friend. But I am just bummed that I wasn't able to partake of your masterpieces before you left AZ. I am sure they were delicious.
I would love to get the recipe since I am always intrigued on what other people love. I will email you mine as well. Let the baking begin!

Amy said...

What a great blog --and what a small world that you know Hillary. She really is an awesome girl! It will be fun to get to know you better.

Find The Time Mama said...

Wow, your kids are getting so big. I haven't seen you forever. I saw your blog off of Nicole Willard's blog and I had to check it out. Here is my family blog:
www.nischanfam.blogspot.com

Look forward to hearing from you,

Alisha Nischan